
This morning we set off again to go to the Met. This time it was open. We each set off to enjoy the exhibits. There's a great collection of 19th century European art, most of which I completely missed somehow. I did see some great stuff - Goyas, El Grecos, Vermeers, and some wonderful John Singer Sargent paintings in the new American wing. The Met is a bit like the Louvre - too much to take in, so museum fatigue sets in. I would love to come back and see more.

After the obligatory trip to the gift shop, we left and took the subway down to Soho. We had lunch at Lombardi's, which apparently was NYC's first pizzeria. The pizza was really, really good. Revived, we did a little shopping nearby at Kate's Paperie and Purl Soho. Kati had clearly found her shopping rhythm and decided to continue, so Martin and I found our way to the Highline. Formerly a disused railway track, this is now an elevated park which winds its way above the city on the west side of Manhattan. It's wonderful - you can walk almost 20 blocks without having to stop for traffic lights. It's also remarkably quiet up there above the traffic. The plantings aren't much to look at in January, but I can imagine they would look really beautiful in the springtime.

We finished the day with dinner at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station. This is a New York institution, so it was a fitting choice for our last night in the city. The food (like every other meal I've had here) was terrific.
I really wish we could stay here longer - there is so much in this city, and we haven't really even scratched the surface.
No comments:
Post a Comment