Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The green lady on the island and King Kong

This morning we took the Staten Island ferry to Staten Island - and straight back again. This must be one of the best free trips anywhere in the world. You get to sail on New York Harbour right past the Statue of Liberty - there are also great views of the Manhattan skyline.





When we got back to Manhattan, we walked up Broadway through the financial district (passing the Occupy Wall Street protesters along the way) to the Ground Zero site. I had hoped to see the memorial, but it seemed to be all closed off and requiring a pass to visit it, so we went over the road to Century 21 (a department store which sells discounted designer goods.) The irony of luxury consumer goods produced by the capitalist system being flogged for cheap right in the very heart of capitalism .....well, maybe it isn't so ironical after all.

Later on, we wandered up to look at the Brooklyn Bridge




and then ended up at the Empire State Building. The view from the 86th floor observatory is truly unforgettable. No King Kong sitings though.




I don't know where New Yorkers get their reputation for being pushy and rude. Everyone we've dealt with has been very friendly, and unfailingly polite. For such a huge busy city, people (and drivers) actually seem to be patient and quite relaxed.

Today was also a day for running into other Aussies - there were several on the ferry, and then more again at the Empire State Building. The accent is instantly recognisable - we heard someone asking "is this a quarta, mate?" I took this photo the day we arrived - I swear I didn't write this message, but I share the sentiment!





No comments:

Post a Comment