Saturday, February 26, 2011

Seven things I'm enjoying right now

We're experiencing the most appalling summer ever here in Perth - day after relentless day of hot, humid weather. And no relief in sight at all, it seems. So I'm trying to ignore the weather and focus on nice things...

1. It was my birthday yesterday - I received some really lovely gifts from Martin and the girls. A cute necklace, a first edition of Love in a cold climate (one of my favourite books) and a great book of greenie posters which Maddie got in New York. Here's one I rather like.





2. Our garden is really suffering in the heatwave but there are still pretty little pockets which give me a lift. I love the way these plants look together.





3. Figs - between my own little tree and my mother's, I've had a steady supply of fresh figs for weeks now - bliss!

4. Although I haven't read any vampire novels and have no intention of doing so, I've been having great fun watching Series 1 and 2 of True Blood. I really love the title sequence, and as for Eric.....!

5. I've been knitting this Debbie Bliss cricket sweater - I've wanted to make a jumper like this since the '80s! I'm knitting it with some Twilleys organic cotton which is very soft and squishy, and feels great to knit with.





6. When suffering through a really hot summer, read about somewhere cold is my advice. I've really enjoyed reading Michael Fry's Edinburgh : a history of the city. What a beautiful and fascinating city it is, and with such a tumultuous history. We visited Edinburgh a few years ago and fell in love with it - I really hope to go back some time and see more...





7. Our deck - February is nearly gone, and even though March can still deliver stinking hot days, summer's days are numbered! (Knowing this is all that's keeping me going right now...) Nevertheless, I'm really going to miss our evenings on the deck when summer is over - I can't believe I'm saying that!

No comments:

Post a Comment