Sunday, February 13, 2011

Busy

One of my many (and probably ever-increasing in number) bugbears is people telling me how busy they are. To quote the great post-modernist philosopher George Costanza, "I'm busy, you're busy, we're all busy". Things have been a little busy around here lately, what with extra hours at work, graduations, christenings, weddings, etc. Mustn't grumble!

One thing I will grumble about - at a workshop I attended this week, someone proferred the view that the role of public libraries is just to issue and shelve books. We who work in libraries are quite used to this, and to the jokes about going to university just to learn how to say Sssssh! But it did make me a little annoyed, especially in view of the British government's very un-enlightened move to close hundreds of public libraries as a cost-cutting measure. The good thing to come from this is that it suddenly makes people think about how valuable public libraries are to their local community. It's very gratifying to see people like Philip Pullman speaking out in defense of libraries. I know I'm biased, but I can still remember how grown-up and excited I felt when I got my first library card. I think I was eleven or twelve, and that little card seemed to open up a world of possibilites for me.

Speaking of possibilities, Maddie is now a graduate (with first class honours!) We went to her graduation ceremony last night, and were very proud to see her walk onto the stage to receive her degree. Here she is with her friend Tasha.




It was a beautiful balmy summer night, there were great speeches and I love to see the great hats all the distinguished academics wear as part of their regalia.





There were even fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment