Sunday, October 3, 2010

There's not a terrible lot that's been happening here.





Gardenwise, I have now planted the last of my four raised beds. It doesn't look like there's much planted - it's mostly seeds. There are several tomato varieties, zucchini and yellow squash. The other beds are going, as the picture shows, gangbusters.

I love the garden in October - everything is flowering, including the roses. Delicious smells are wafting as one walks around - wisteria, citrus blossoms, lavender and the lovely native wedding bush. Everything is looking rather
schmick (a word used by my deck guy which I rather like).




I had a very good day in the op-shops in Fremantle yesterday. Although not in the league of some uber-opshoppers, I occasionally find some good stuff. Yesterday I bought FIVE pieces of clothing from one rack at the Anglicare Op-Shop - a black Sportscraft jumper, a Country Road cardigan, a long white beachy tunic/top, a great skirt and a fabulous black Jag jacket. All of these were on the "designer" rack, and therefore not exactly amazing bargains. I don't dare say how much I paid, as certain uber-opshoppers would no doubt scoff! I also found a book about Muhammad Ali which Martin actually did not already have in his very comprehensive collection.

The annual council bulk-rubbish collection is happening again. I have very fond memories of driving around with my sister Annette some years ago, loading up the car with good stuff other people were throwing away - I believe "gleaning" is the correct expression. We both still have lots of the things we picked up then. As I've driven past the piles of discarded stuff in the last few days, I keep my eyes peeled for anything promising, but it seems to be mostly old computers, barbecues and broken chairs. Why doesn't anyone throw away lovely rusty old garden furniture? Something like this will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment