I left the garden to its own devices before our departure. After the very hot summer we've had and not being sure whether it would rain while we were away, I thought it wise not to plant anything much until we got back. Here's the veggie garden as it was when we got back.

Nothing much happening, except an eggplant with a few eggplants on it, some basil and a purple sprouting broccoli (PSB). The PSB is a bit of a bone of contention - I've never had any trouble growing them from seed. The seed packet states that one may expect broccoli within 16 weeks or so. I get huge healthy plants, but no florets. The interweb suggests that PSB needs to overwinter, and that florets appear in spring about a year after planting. Well, I shall wait for spring and see. If it doesn't sprout then, I shall give up. Maybe PSB needs colder winters than we get in Perth.
Our quince tree has finally settled in after being transplanted a few years ago. It had a good crop of fruit this year.

Because I left them on the tree while we were away, the fruit fly got to them a little. Nevertheless, I managed to poach a few, and made quince paste with the rest. I found a slow cooker recipe for quince paste which worked beautifully.
Over the last week or so, I've planted broad beans, lettuce, Galilee spinach, leeks and Tuscan kale from seeds. I've also planted some rainbow chard seedlings. I'm not sure exactly what will go in all the beds yet, but have plans involving potatoes, parsnips, rhubarb and peas. The birdbath in the centre of the veggie garden will be moved, to be replaced by a very large pot containing a low-chill variety apple tree which I have ordered from the Diggers Club.
I have lots of plans brewing for the back yard. Lots of digging and transplanting. For now though I'll just enjoy my day off, listening to the rain pouring down outside and perusing the latest Diggers Club catalogue....
No comments:
Post a Comment